What could be better than homemade gnocchi! Daria loves gnocchi – it’s the one thing she always orders if it’s on the menu. We’ve tried buying them in the grocery store – you know, those pre-made ones in the shrink wrapped packaged – always a disappointment. They just don’t have taste! I came across this recipe for home-made gnocchi in my recipe file from Outside Magazine. Give it a try. I think you will enjoy it as much as we do!
Homemade Gnocchi (adapted from a recipe for Potato Gnocchi in Outside Magazine)
3-4 sweet potato’s, steamed and mashed
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 to 1.5 cups of flour
salt, pepper, and any other spices you like
– mix the mashed sweet potatoes, flour, egg yolks, olive oil and spices together to form a dough like consistency. If mixture seems too wet, add more flour.
– form into a ball and let rest in the bowl for 10 minutes.
– Have a large pot of boiling salted water ready on the stove.
– To form the gnocchi, divide the dough into four sections and roll out the first one into a long rope on a floured surface. The dough will be sticky so be sure to have some flour on your hands. Cut each rope into 1/2” to 1” pieces and drop into the boiling water a few at a time.
– The gnocchi are ready when they rise and float to the top of the water. You will need to do this in batches.
– Carefully spoon the finished gnocchi into a hot saute pan and lightly stir-fry them for a few moments with a little olive oil and more spices if you like.
– Place the sautéed gnocchi in a serving dish and add your favorite pasta sauce to make this dish complete. Maybe try a little of the Rockin’ Red Sauce from a previous post. Any sauce will taste great! Enjoy!!