Yummy desserts! These next two entries are all about sweet, buttery, creamy, crumbly desserts. We woke up to a morning of clouds, cool temps and sprinkles. Kind of reminded us of fall weather – the kind of weather you just want to sit inside and bake! So here it is…Keenan’s favorite, pumpkin pie. We had to improvise a little on the ingredients, but I am sure you will agree, this is a tasty one for sure!
Chocolate Spiked, Pumpkin Pie
– 1 c whole wheat flour
– 1/4 c sugar
– 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– sprinkle of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice
– 1/2 c cold butter cut in small pieces
– 1 egg
– 4 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped
– 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
– 3/4 c light brown sugar
– 8 oz. coconut milk (or something creamy like whole milk)
– 3 large eggs
– spices: sprinkle in whatever you have in the pantry like cinnamon, allspice, cardamon, cloves and/or ginger
– 1/4 tsp. salt
Directions: Oven 350
– Start with the crust.
– Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and spices in a mixing bowl. Add butter and mix to form a crumbly texture. Add egg and mix so that it comes together like a soft dough.
– refrigerate dough for about 15 minutes till it is firm. When firm, roll out dough on a floured surface to the shape of a 9-10” cheesecake pan. Transfer dough to the pan and press dough into the bottom and up the sides. Chill for another 15-20 minutes in refrigerator.
– lightly prick dough with fork all over the bottom and sides of pan and bake the crust for 15 minutes till firm. Remove from oven and sprinkle the finely chopped dark chocolate on the crust. Set aside till filling is ready.
– Begin the filling when the crust is in the oven.
– Combine pumpkin, coconut milk, eggs, spices and salt together in a mixer.
– Pour filling into prepared crust.
– Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes at 350.
– Allow pie to cool on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes.
– If you like, melt some additional chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over pie.
– Refrigerate pie for at least an hour to let it set before serving.
– Slice with a cold knife and enjoy this rich and creamy treat! We are sure you will enjoy the taste of chocolate and pumpkin together!! Thanks Keenan for whipping up this delicious treat!!!