I have been waiting for the perfect recipe to come along that combines natural sweetness of fruit with the tartness of a raw beets. I think I found it in this combo. Before you stop reading the rest of this post… “Yucky beets”!, take a moment to read through the entire entry. There is more than enough fruit in there to make even a raw beet and grated zucchini taste good. Think carrot cake or zucchini bread, but tons better for you. Loaded with all sorts of plant enzymes that are left in tact because they are not heated, this sweet treat can be eaten at any time of the day. Pre-workout snack, perfect. Post-workout snack, even better. After dinner treat to prevent you from eating your kid’s chocolate chip cookie, the best! Satisfying, wholesome and totally good for you, get in the kitchen and start chopping!
Raw Red Velvet Cookies
One beet, peeled and grated
1/2 of a zucchini, grated
1 cup of dried fruit, soaked in hot water to soften
1 cup of nuts, any that you have on hand
1/2 to 1 cup of dried coconut or coconut flour
optional spices such as cinnamon, cardamon, and ginger (add up to a tsp. of each)
2 scoops of Vega Health Food Optimizer* or your own brand of protein powder
1 cup of carob chips
optional 1/2 cup of sugar or 1/4 cup of Agave syrup, depending on how sweet you like it.
1 cup of Almonds
2 tsp of Agave syrup
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
3 Tbls. coconut butter
water to make smooth paste.
– Place dried fruit in a bowl and cover with hot water just to the top of the fruit. Soak for about an hour, reserving liquid when finished.
– Combine beets and zucchini in a large bowl.
– Grind in blender or chop nuts into small pieces.
– Place dried fruit and soaking water into food processor or blender and mix to a smooth paste.
– Mix in half of the beet/zucchini mixture to dried fruit and continue to blend.
– Remove mixture from blender and mix paste back into remaining beet and zucchini mixture and hand mix with a large wooden spoon.
– Stir nuts into mixing bowl along with spices, powder, coconut and carob chips.
– Mix by hand until mixture comes together like soft dough.
– If it seems too runny/sticky add a bit more coconut or coconut flour. I also like to add in ground flaxseed or chia seeds at this point. The mixture should resemble chocolate chip cookie dough.
– Remove dough and roll into logs on wax paper. Place in freezer bag and freeze till firm, about 2-3 hours.
– Put all ingredients for the Almond Cheese Icing in a good processor and mix till a smooth paste.
– Take out dough from freezer. It should be very firm when you are ready to eat them. Slice into 1/2 rounds and top with Almond-cheese icing. Enjoy!!
*Vega Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer is a vegan powder supplement that provides protein, fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, Omegas, enzymes, probiotics, and phytonutrients. It is available online and in most health food grocery stores.