So we are in this cute little town off the coast of North Carolina and we pass by this amazing coffee shop, but to our dismay, it’s closed! It’s only 5pm! I peek through the glass front door and spy some delicious looking muffins and that’s what got me inspired to try out a recipe I found in my Yoga Cookbook. These muffins are dense; loaded with fruit and nuts and are supposed to be made egg-free to be true Yogic muffins, but I found the batter to be just too dry, so I added a couple in. The result is delicious! If you like your muffin loaded with tons of nutrition, this is the muffin for you! Enjoy!!
Rise and Shine Muffins
5 medium sized carrots finely chopped (use a food grater or processor)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 – 3/4 cup brown sugar (optional depending on your sweetness factor)
1 – 2 tsps. spices
2 tsp. baking powder
1.5 cups chopped nuts
1.5 cups dried fruit
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup of oil
4 Tblsp. almond milk
– Chop all fruit, nuts and carrots into small pieces.
– mix flours, spices, and baking powder together in a separate bowl then add fruit and nut mixture to the flour mixture.
– mix eggs, oil, molasses, and almond milk in a separate bowl.
– pour egg mixture over flour/nut/fruit mixture and blend together. It may be easier to use your hands at this point to really incorporate the wet and dry mixtures together with over-mixing them in a blender.
– scoop mixture into a well greased, 12 muffin tin and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and enjoy while still hot with your favorite cup of coffee or tea!
Have a great morning!!!!