So we are in this cute little town off the coast of North Carolina and we pass by this amazing coffee shop, but to our dismay, it’s closed! It’s only 5pm! I peek through the glass front door and spy some delicious looking muffins and that’s what got me inspired to try out a recipe I found in my Yoga Cookbook. These muffins are dense; loaded with fruit and nuts and are supposed to be made egg-free to be true Yogic muffins, but I found the batter to be just too dry, so I added a couple in. The result is delicious! If you like your muffin loaded with tons of nutrition, this is the muffin for you! Enjoy!!
Rise and Shine Muffins
5 medium sized carrots finely chopped (use a food grater or processor)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 – 3/4 cup brown sugar (optional depending on your sweetness factor)
1 – 2 tsps. spices
2 tsp. baking powder
1.5 cups chopped nuts
1.5 cups dried fruit
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup of oil
4 Tblsp. almond milk
– Chop all fruit, nuts and carrots into small pieces.
– mix flours, spices, and baking powder together in a separate bowl then add fruit and nut mixture to the flour mixture.
– mix eggs, oil, molasses, and almond milk in a separate bowl.
– pour egg mixture over flour/nut/fruit mixture and blend together. It may be easier to use your hands at this point to really incorporate the wet and dry mixtures together with over-mixing them in a blender.
– scoop mixture into a well greased, 12 muffin tin and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and enjoy while still hot with your favorite cup of coffee or tea!
Have a great morning!!!!
looking forward to scoffing these down during our visit next week!
These sound so yummy!
I will try to make them, it is great no milk or egg.
Good Morning MW crew. Just made the muffins. It took me awhile but got it together and voila, Rise and Shine Muffins! I left the extra sugar out so it was not so sweet which I liked. Uncle Doug ate one and his immediate reaction was “it’s interesting” but as he ate more, he liked it. The muffins are definitely healthy and filling. I had couple with my favorite Irish tea. Thanks for the recipe Jen.
Hope you’re keeping cool in NYC. Miss you! Love, tia sima