So, I need to play a little catch up…! I have been living the Yoga life for the last few days while staying in Nassau and fell way behind on my recipe blog. Roasted beets…, something I never used to like, but I have fallen in love with lately. They served them with every meal in the Sivananda Yoga Center I visited in Nassau (more about that in the Family Blog section of this website). Who can resist the earthy, sweet, smokey taste of oven roasted beets? Not me! As you all know we had quite a bounty of produce harvested from the wonderful garden at South Bar, compliments of the MacKinnon family. I think the kids picked up something like 20 beets! They had so much fun digging and cutting things from the garden. Kind of like a treasure hunt for them. Daria found a whopper of a beet, measuring somewhere around 8” across, while Keenan found me some delicious herbs. Hmmm, fresh beets and herbs; that sounds good to me.
Ahhh… and what to do with those beet greens? Chop up the juicy red stems and combine with half a diced red onion, saute the onion and stems with some dried cranberries in olive oil and sea salt, then add in the beet leaves with a splash of red wine vinegar and ta da…, you have another delicious side dish! Thanks go out to the Daria and Keenan and the MacKinnon family. We will be enjoying fresh beets onboard for the next few weeks!
Roasted Beet Salad
4-5 beets (or one really large one!), scrubbed and chopped into 1” squares
1 medium potato, scrubbed and chopped into 1” pieces
1 red onion cut into 4 quarter pieces
1-2 stalks of celery, diced
1-2 Tbls. olive oil
Sprinkle of Sea Salt
2 Tbls. of fresh or dried herbs
(optional add chopped nuts of your choice before serving)
Super easy directions
– scrub beets and potatoes well in cold water. chop off any leaves and/or stems.
– chop beets and potatoes into uniform pieces (you can peel them if you like before doing this, but I leave the clean skin on for extra fiber and texture).
– quarter the onion and mix with beets and potatoes in a bowl.
– place vegetables on a shallow, oiled pan (or parchament lined pan) and drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with sea salt and half of the fresh herbs.
– Cover with tinfoil and roast in a hot oven at 400F for 15 minutes till tender.
– Remove foil, stir vegetables and continue roasting for another 10 or so minutes untill the vegetables caramelize and the juices start browning (oven times may vary, so keep a close eye to prevent burning).
– Remove from the oven and stir vegetables in the pan with their own juices, then add the diced celery and some more fresh or dried herbs and any chopped nuts available to you.
– Spoon onto a platter and serve with greens and/or grains that you have on hand or just enjoy them on their own! Now you have a delicious Beet Salad!!