Our little pastry chef has been at it again. Daria whipped up this yummy cake for our Easter Sunday celebration as we were motoring up the ICW towards Charleston, S.C. A delicious vanilla cake with vanilla icing and loaded with Easter candy. What could be better than that with a cup of your favorite coffee or tea. We enjoyed our slice of cake up on the fly-bridge as we meandered through the waters of South Carolina. Thanks Daria!!
Ingredients: (adapted from a recipe in our favorite Magnolia Bakery Cookbook)
For the Cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2&3/4 cups of all purpose flour
2&1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup of milk
1 tsp. vanilla
For the icing:
2 sticks of butter
8 cups of confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
To make the Cake: (This cake makes enough for three 9” pans or you can make 24-32 cupcakes. Grease and flour the pans to make sure it does not stick. Oven temperature at 350F.
– cream the butter till smooth on medium speed of the mixer.
– add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
– add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
– combine the flour with the salt and baking powder.
– add flour mixture to butter mixture in four parts alternating with the milk and vanilla extract combo.
– Pour batter in the pans and bake for about 20-25 minutes
To make the icing:
– put butter into mixer and add 4 cups of the sugar, then milk, then vanilla extract.
– beat until smooth and creamy.
– gradually add remaining sugar one cup at a time until you get to a spreading consistency. You may not need all of the sugar.
Enjoy the recipe! It is one of our all time favorites for any celebration!! Thanks Daria!!!